Monday, August 6, 2012

Iced Coffee Treat!

I am so excited to try out a new recipe for iced coffee and it is a MUCH healthier alternative then the grab and go's at fast food joints or the Starbucks mocha drinks in the grocery aisles.  It is a homemade iced coffee and the the longest part is just steeping the coffee over night.  I don't know about you but it certainly is tough to drink hot coffee in hot weather, so why not try iced coffee..? And on top of that, if you are looking to watch your caffeine intake, using decaf coffee for your iced coffee drink counts as a liquid choice!

I am towards the end of my pregnancy and do watch my caffeine intake...one caffeine drink a day is safe so I allow myself that one delicious cup of coffee and I am just dying to sip on iced coffee tomorrow! Here is the recipe I am going to make starting tonight.  I got this recipe from a girl who has come to my office for some nutrition appointments and am so grateful she sent me this today :-)

Well, here are the steps to the iced coffee concoction!

Yield: two drinks
1/3 C ground coffee
1 1/2 C water

In a jar, container, etc. (anything you have that is clean :-)), stir together coffee and water.  Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight or 12 hours.
Strain twice through a coffee filter or cheesecloth, into another jar or pitcher. I refrigerate this mixture before consuming it. 
When you are ready to make your perfect cup of iced coffee, start by filling a glass with ice.
Then dispense enough coffee liquid to fill the glass half full, or as much as you desire.
Splash in skim or 1% milk, or for another healthy option, try unsweetened almond breeze milk!

Then add any flavorings you wish.  Some healthy flavorings are sugar-free hazelnut or vanilla syrup or Stevia. 

Or for a fun treat on occasion, stir in a small dollop of sweet condensed milk.  See the results below!
Give it a try - I know I will love it...I hope you do too :-) Great entertaining drink as well for special occasions or just to sip on at home!

REE_5047

No comments:

Post a Comment