Sunday, November 23, 2014

Be Thankful...

98448c075538d3d0ed033e50ae28fce9
As I read this quote, the colors and words are so calming because this is not only what Thanksgiving is about but what life is about...being thankful for the good in life, focusing on the positives and being around those you love and care about. I have become a stronger person because I continue to surround myself around people that are positive. Nothing is better for mental health than being with friends and family. Although I have spent some quality time with my daughters, husband, in laws and a friend from work earlier tonight, having time to reflect and be thankful for what life has to offer makes everything feel complete....here is to a new week, full of thankfulness for family, and of course, good food!! :-)
Speaking of good food, here is a yummy sweet potato dish that is mouth watering....I did modify this to lower the total sugar content, but please note: flavor is still impeccable!

All you need:
3 c. sweet potatoes, mashed
1 c. brown sugar (*I used 3/4 c. Stevia)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. milk, 1%
1/2 c. melted butter (Smart Balance Omega-3)
Topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar (*I used 1/4 c.)
1/3 c. flour (*I used almond flour)
1/3 c. melted butter (*Feel free to use half spray butter)
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
All you do:
Let sweet potatoes cool. Combine first six ingredients. Blend thoroughly and pour into a coated 1 1/2 - 2 quart casserole dish. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle on top. Bake for approximately 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until lightly golden brown. Serves 6-8.



*Note: This dish is absolutely delicious served cold as a dessert. Add light whipped topping. Perfect crustless sweet potato dessert for Thanksgiving! Ideal for those on a low carb diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment