I have been on a kick with smoothies for breakfast lately...and with the weather warming up, what a great time to enjoy a smoothie for breakfast. Smoothies never become a bore for me because I can modify ingredients everyday and still keep the flavor. According to the USDA, we are to fill our plate with 1/4 protein, 1/4 starch and 1/2 fruits and veggies...this can all be achieved in a smoothie! So skip the morning coffee and have your complete breakfast in a glass :-)
- 1 small frozen ripe banana, peeled
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 tbsp Natural Peanut Butter, Smuckers Natural
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (I used Chobani) - great way to reduce added sugar by choosing plain.
- 1 scoop Omega-3 Chia Seed - super food that provides omega-3, fiber and protein. Chia seed absorbs up to 10 times its weight in water which keeps you hydrated and full longer. Chia seed also binds onto cholesterol and blood sugars to prevent blood sugar spikes and may lower bad cholesterol.
Place all the ingredients into the blender, add ice (optional) and blend until smooth.
Add 1/2 - 1 serving of granola to add your whole grain. Dietitian pick: Erin Bakers granola, found in Hy-Vee HealthMarket section.